Transporting firearms and ammunition

Even before you buy your first firearm you need to know how you will carry it home and where you will keep it. Bear in mind that it is illegal to carry or use a loaded firearm in a vehicle.

All Victorian Licence holders should when travelling interstate, check with that state's Police Firearms Registry as to licensing and storage requirements.

You are strongly advised to get a padded cover or hard case in which to carry your firearm. This ensures the firearm is protected and stays in good condition. It also makes it less obvious so is less likely to alarm other members of the public.

A hard case with a soft lining will protect your firearm while travelling. A soft padded cover is useful but not as protective.

You must have a particular lawful, proper and sufficient purpose to have firearms with you, so you should have firearms - unloaded - in your vehicle only on the way to or from a hunting trip, shooting range, or for some other genuine reason.

It is vital for community safety and crime reduction to keep your firearms secure at all times. You may lose your firearms licence if you fail to do so.